[FoRK] Two bits (for Ken, Sean)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 3 12:56:18 PST 2010

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

> > Sean says:
> >
> > >And never underestimate the bandwidth [1] of a station wagon loaded
> > >with tapes [2].
> >

> > Yeah, that's the standard argument.  Realistically, in all these years
> > in the industry, I have yet to see any significant *data transfer*
> > accomplished via such means (or a FedEx full of CDs, etc.)
> >  That bit about the USENET feed to Australia may have been true (at least, in the 80s).
>

>   A friend of mine had 700G of files he wanted to give me.  Assuming both
> our computers were on 100Mb/sec networks, it still would have taken nearly
> 10 hours to transfer the data:
>
>   ...[snip calcs]...
>
>   vs. an hour and a half driving time to hook the
> external drive up to my system.

I built a new system from the junk box for my workshop to hook up my new golf swing monitor to. To move 50GB of music out there I could have driven to the store to buy a wifi card, driven home, installed it and transfered the files at something like 40-50Mbps. Yawn. Or dump them onto my USB hard drive and schlepp them out there. Guess which I chose. (I had no other reason to do a network connection.)

> How many here would *love* a full duplex 100Mb/sec Internet
> connection?

Pick me! Pick me!!!

> How many here *could* afford a full duplex 100Mb/sec Internet
> connection?

Actually, I would settle for a full duplex T1. xDSL sucks if you want to send anything big. Why haven't they implemented the adaption techniques that were developed for high-speed analogue modems in the 80's. They are asymmetrical but they load-sense and switch the fat pipe to the direction with the traffic. No reason xDSL couldn't do exactly the same thing.

It flat pisses me off that the mavens of digital, to this day, refuse to believe there's anything to be learned from the analogue world.

        ...ken...