[FoRK] Two bits (for Ken, Sean)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 4 16:13:14 PST 2010

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo once stated:
> > --- On Wed, 2/3/10, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > How many here *could* afford a full duplex 100Mb/sec Internet
> > > connection?
> >
> > Actually, I would settle for a full duplex T1.
>
>   The full duplex T1 will set you back a few hundred a
> month, plus don't forget the router ...

My bad. I meant equivalent bandwidth, e.g. 1.54Mbps in both directions instead of just the one direction as in my current DSL connection. I don't want an actual T1.

> > xDSL sucks if you want to
> > send anything big. Why haven't they implemented the adaption techniques
> > that were developed for high-speed analogue modems in the 80's. They are
> > asymmetrical but they load-sense and switch the fat pipe to the direction
> > with the traffic. No reason xDSL couldn't do exactly the same thing.
>
>   No reason, except money.  Why do you think most DSL providers include
> "running no servers" in their TOS?
>
>   Also, the common use case for DSL is residential
> use---little upload but huge downloads, with their network geared for this.
>
>   -spc (Hmmm ... I could run fiber optic between my house and The Office,
>     only costs about $3k for the cable alone, but getting the rights of
>     way along the way may prove difficult ... )
>
> [1]    Telco speak for "Central Office" which isn't a central office in the
>     "where all the employees work" meaning but in the "thus begins the
>     last mile out to the customers" meaning.

Yeah, I knew all that. I worked in the industry for nearly thirty years, almost all of it in a Canadian telco, in the IT and Engineering departments. It was just a rant. It's even more annoying when you know the reasons why.  :(

        ...ken...