[FoRK] A Theory of Products: Magic, Alchemy, Science... and Beyond?

John Parsons bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 6 21:03:09 PST 2010

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, rob van kranenburg <kranenbuster at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Internet Of Things is the death of any subject-object
> relationship. From
> the moment it goes live, all and every relationship of me
> and my
> surroundings, objects, clothes, mobility... w h a t e v e
> r, will have an
> added component, a digital potentiality that is outside of
> my control.
> Things are in threes now, forever. You, me and a hit
> somewhere. You, me and
> the fix. So what? So what you say. Every generation builds
> it own add-ons to
> the notions of reality, to what it believes are the
> foundations of the real.
> What makes this move so different?

Alas, from the perspective of an old cynic, it seems that with every
adjunct, while something is added, another is lost. The old saw about
radio versus early television, in that radio had better pictures, is
particularly poignant. Another example is music videos. The video
component is added to the song and immediately clashes with your internal
pictures and impression of the audio only version. Indeed, now, they are
often indiguishable components. It becomes a gestalt performance, enhanced
perhaps but more externally defined and less personable.

By the same token, then, the idea of this additional "presence", this
third perspective, is a little unsettling to me. As a life-long
motorcyclist, I know that the best conversations one has, is with himself,
free of extraneous input. I realize however, that I'm not the generation
this would be aimed at or affect, and that my reticence could only be
reaction to the unknown change it represents.

As fabricated externalities increasingly affect our shared existence, do
they free or enable great new states of consciousness or non-material
being (the last thing the world needs more of, is materialism), or do they
deaden and supress individual actuation (not necessarily a bad thing)?

> Finally the real has become
> scriptable and the
> scriptable becomes the real. Really now!

> All because for a younger generation the qualities of connectivity are > > intrinsic to what they perceive as the object. For us it is still an
> 'add-on', for them it is the thing itself.

As new generations evolve the world with these forever altered
perceptions, does it still breed for survival (i.e. is this survival
positive or negative)? Does it even matter?

> I'm working hard with friends on a plan b and that is plain magic indeed,
> Greetings! Rob

What's plan B? Will we like it? :-)

Cheers
John