[FoRK] universal welfare.

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Sun Feb 7 01:41:42 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Damien Morton once stated:
> > http://sfreporter.com/stories/born_poor/5339/all/
>
>   Nice in theory, but I have real problems with the article overall.  For
> instance:
>
>  And about that $250,000 ... is he serious?  Let's see:
>
>        Population of the US (estimate):        300,000,000 or 3*10^8
>        Proposed amount:                        250,000     or 2.5*10^5
>
>        multiply the two together:      7.5*10^13
>                or                      75,000,000,000,000
>
>  That's 75 TRILLION dollars.  GNP as of 2008 was *only* 14.3 TRILLION [2].
> Of course, we could go all Zimbabwe and run the printing presses 24x7 to
> get
> us to 75 trillion dollars ...

http://www.censusscope.org/us/chart_age.html shows that in 2000 there were
about 20 million people aged 15-19, so I am guessing that there are around 4
million 18 year olds.

4e6 * 0.25e6 = 1e12 = 1 trillion dollars or about 7% of GNP.

Its a number he pulled out of his ass. Could just as easily be 100K.

Personally, I think giving $250k to 18-year olds is unwise. It would,
however, revive the "gone-wild" industry. Better to give it at 21 or 25 or
something. Or in tranches.

I do like the universal welfare concept. You can wipe out huge swathes
of bureaucracy in one go. Boom. No more trying to figure out who is entitled
to what, everyone gets the same thing. Couple it with a flat tax, and you
get major simplicity and an effectively progressive taxation system.