[FoRK] A Theory of Products: Magic, Alchemy, Science... and Beyond?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 8 20:35:01 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 2/8/10, Paul Jimenez <pj at place.org> wrote:
> An interesting perspective, as
> always.  I agree, though I think it means that no
> product can ever be finished because it will need to adjust
> to the changes in a user's tastes over time, and it's
> probably so optimized to only be 'in style' for a short
> time.   A kind of usability overfit, to make
> an analogy to machine learning.  Marketers may think
> that's a feature. I think it's a sustainability bug,
> personally, but YMMV.

One needs to be careful with this sort of assumption. It's not just "taste". It might not even be primarily "taste". Unless you expand your definition of "taste" to include the "learning curve".

That is, now that we've had the opportunity to use it for awhile, here is what we now understand about how the user interface could be improved to make it easier to use. Even with the current user interface, here are changes/additions to features and functions that would make it more useful. And if the suggested changes are made to the user interface, here are even more features and functions that would make it even more useful still.

Iterate.

        ...ken...