[FoRK] [tt] [wta-talk] The future of politics. Can politicians prepare society for the major technology challenges ahead? With Darren Reynolds.

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 9 19:42:15 PST 2010

"Can dinosaurs help rodents prepare for their upcoming ascendancy?"

This is hilarious.  Really.  GMAFB.

Politicians in general cannot and do not understand or cope with, much less help society adapt to and capture the opportunity of, *yesterday's* technology.  Instead, the political system is often the tool of those with entrenched interests in inhibiting new technology.  Tubes, remember?

Looking at the presenter's bio-blip, makes perfect sense.  Hit us with that irrational exuberance about the positive effectiveness of government, Mr. Chairman.

Can (existing forms of) government have a positive impact on society?  Of course.  Does this actually happen?  Rarely, and increasingly so.

Let us not mince words.  Every single technological innovation of any significance on the horizon is a disruptive threat to any centralization of control, be it within markets or within social organization.  That is *the nature* of disruptive innovation vis-a-vis establishments.  Not only is it unrealistic and pollyanna to think that government *could* play a constructive role in this --- in fact the opposite incentives and motivations are intrinsically baked into our systems of governance themselves --- whatever individual intentions and motivations "politicians" might have.

jb