[FoRK] [tt] [wta-talk] The future of politics. Can politicians prepare society for the major technology challenges ahead? With Darren Reynolds.

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Feb 10 08:39:20 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:42:15PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:

> "Can dinosaurs help rodents prepare for their upcoming ascendancy?"

IT'S PEOPLE!  Government is made of PEOPLE!
Or are you awaiting the withering-away of the State?

> Politicians in general cannot and do not understand or cope with, much
> less help society adapt to and capture the opportunity of, *yesterday's*
> technology.  Instead, the political system is often the tool of those
> with entrenched interests in inhibiting new technology.  Tubes, remember?

Yes [internet] I [space race] remember [railroads] how [computers] the
[industrial chemistry] government [modern agriculture] has [nuclear tech]
consistently [scientific research] worked [UAVs] to [patents] defer [R&D
funding] and [protective tariffs] suppress ["green tech" incentives] newer
[DARPA etc.] technologies.

Dang gubmit,
  Aaron