[FoRK] Betting on the iPad

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:39:17 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> The same could be said of *any* design variation.  This particular one has
> been tried many, many times.  Good on them if they make it work.

Ok, so what's new in the current generation?

Touch screen.  Multitouch and gestures.
No stylus.
Mic & speaker.
Ubiquitous networking.  Better data plans.
Consumers trained by current gen smart phones to be comfortable with
the UI strategy.
No start menu.  Lots of tweaks to the operating environment courtesy
of the iPhone.
Third party ISVs making dedicated products.
Target market consumers rather than businesses.

>> Laptops without keyboards are a significant step.  The next step is to
>> lose monitors.  I wonder what that will be like?  What if the device
>> was voice controlled and had a speaker output?  (But also a full scale
>> web browser and connectivity).
>
> Why... then you'd have a standard wearable.  Or a modern Gphone.  Give it
> time and context-awareness and you'd have something impressive, but until
> we have a paradigm shift in how computers facilitate human interaction and
> labour, non-visual computers will live in the niches.

A standard wearable?  Is there such a thing?  A modern borGphone
desn't have a screen?

Anyhow, I don't want to do verbal fencing anymore, because you said
something interesting about a paradigm shift in how computers
facilitate human interact and labo(u)r.  Can you say more about that?