[FoRK] Google Disappoints

Steve Nordquist saigua at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 11 22:16:11 PST 2010

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:06:50 -0600, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net>
wrote:

> I expect more from Google.  Their "demo" link off the home page [1]
> should have a live emulator of the Nexus One.  Let you make and receive
> calls from the web page.  Load your gmail address book.  Load and try
> apps.  Link to GPS on your existing phone (via Google Maps) so you can
> try local reference search and navigation.  Order a preconfigured,
> preloaded phone.  Anything less and they are just loafing.
in -quiet dignity-, yes.

> [1] http://www.google.com/phone
>
> What would you do with 1 million machines??

Buy puts on electric power with utility discounts? (/hindsight) [ducks]
er, continue to run Flash by default?  Do I get a crank recharger port?

> Anyway, leaving out a physical keyboard is substandard.  And not one of
> those semi-useless sideways chicklet keyboards, but something you can
> type 40+ wpm.

But with the CMOS camera fed through to display in some kind of low-power
magic loop and a bit of OLED projection as a guide, you can have a virtual
Unicode keyboard on any pile of medical waste you like!

Then you can assign Shift-alt-grave-Om to your delight.