[FoRK] text flow / line wrap mystery solved (sort of)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu Feb 11 23:17:43 PST 2010

Okay.  So one thing did change between the time I posted the previous snippet (Feb 2, when it flowed correctly) and tonight (when it didn't.)  I upgraded the Air to 10.6.2 from 10.5.8.

Looking at the raw source reveals that the previous version used Apple Message framework v936, while the 10.6.2 has Apple Message framework v1077.

v936 apparently set the content-type and content-transfer-encoding as follows:

...which, IMHO, is entirely reasonable, desirable, preferable, correct, etc.  v1077 on the other hand:

(I'm assuming this is happening in the framework itself, or some dependent framework.)

Now, we can have all the religious wars we want over which of these is "right" but at the end of the day, the result is easy to observe:  go look at messages in the archive from before and after the change.  Personally, I prefer the old behavior for all sorts of reasons.

So:  casual investigation doesn't reveal any obvious way to force Mail.app to set these things.  Anybody aware of any way to force this?  Reasonably sure there's probably some defaults write com.apple.mail magic, but nothing obvious from casual inspection of reading same.

I am attempting in this message to manually set the encoding to UTF-8;  this is obviously a hack and may not be effective but there was some anecdotal evidence in a quick Google on the issue that this might force the appropriate attributes in content-type.  We'll see.

jb