[FoRK] Robotic cars, software / Internet in cars, and Linux Ksplice, was: Re: > Re: The future of politics. Can, politicians prepare society for the major technology challenges ahead?, With Darren Reynolds.

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 07:54:32 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:
>  True story---a friend of mine worked at a company that made car
> diagnositic computers.  They were testing their software on a BMW when there
> was a power failure and they ended up bricking the car.
>
>  BMW had to fly an engineer from Germany (to South Florida) to get the car
> unbricked.

I was on a city bus in Honolulu that the driver had to reboot.  You
could see the system status messages on the display that normally
shows upcoming stops.  The portion of the system that opens and closes
the (literal) back door wasn't responding, so the driver shut down the
bus, waited, started it, and waited again for bootup to complete.

I didn't recognize the prompts, BTW.  Some embedded OS that I don't
hands on experience with.