[FoRK] Aaron, seriously

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 12 09:30:49 PST 2010

--- On Fri, 2/12/10, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Spending time patting ourselves on the back for all that we
> do well is silly and unproductive.

Not true. A little positive reinforcement every now and again is actually quite useful. It works even for hardass nerds like you. Just ask your wife. Or any other good manager/mentor.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to count our blessings and put things into perspective. Let's get the context clear before we...

> ...  Only by digging in,
> hard, on the things that we *don't* do well --- and,
> perhaps, looking at those things for which there are
> systematic obstacles that make doing them well difficult or
> impossible, i.e. systematic constraints, limitations, and
> characteristics --- can progress be made in our social
> organization, choice and decision processes, and mechanisms
> of "governance." ...

Now that's good. Very good.

But...

> (Conversely, the fatalistic / nihilistic / disillusioned
> point of view that cannot conceive of any possible
> improvements or means of getting there is equally
> unproductive, though certainly --- depressingly --- less
> "silly."  Rather unfortunate that exactly that point of
> view may be even more damaging than the uncritical point of
> view, as it tends towards self-fulfilling prophesy.)

That's just the sort of bullshit that starts or perpetuates useless flame wars and hinders fruitful discourse. I didn't see Aaron or anyone else saying, suggesting, or even hinting that things couldn't be improved. He was probably just reacting to some of the specious crap, like immediately above, you sometimes wrap around the good stuff, like further above.

In my view.

Now, I don't know the long and revered history of FoRK and particularly the relationships of its individual participants. So perhaps this is just a time-honored bit of jibing between you two. If so, my apologies for commenting without the necessary context.

          ...ken...