[FoRK] computer morphology

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:41:56 PST 2010

(topic: wearables & iPad)

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> Most computers demand the sole attention of our eyes and fingers.  That's
> fine in some circumstances, but eye & hands are most folks' primary
> interfaces to the world.

I ran into braille sheet music last weekend.  A wonderous thing.

I read a pop science book on a group of MIT folk who built a computer
for beating roulette wheels.  The output was a tactile thing in the
sneaker, bumps I think.  The input was a clicker in the pocket
(clicked at each cycle of the ball, to time its speed).  So: simple
inputs.

I've been thinking about radar or sonar for space mapping for blind
people walking down the street.  They would have a radar or sonar
device emitting signals and detecting bounces.  It would be able to
track doppler shift, and would use that to report accelerating and
decelerating bodies.  They had some output device in their hand or
maybe strapped to their body.  The device would have a schematic that
was readable by touch.

> When computers became important to a lot of our
> work and socialization, they forced us to spend more and more of our lives
> with our eyes & hands attending to a virtual world "inside the screen"
> rather than to our physical world.  This also forces our work and
> socialization into narrow channels.

Beautiful insight.

Users of desktop computers are like the opium smokers.  We go into an
inner world and disconnect from our surroundings.