[FoRK] computer morphology

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Feb 12 13:01:14 PST 2010

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Fri, 2/12/10, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> When computers became important to a lot of our
>>> work and socialization, they forced us to spend more and more of our lives
>>> with our eyes & hands attending to a virtual world "inside the screen"
>>> rather than to our physical world.  This also forces our work and
>>> socialization into narrow channels.
>>>
>> Beautiful insight.
>>
>> Users of desktop computers are like the opium smokers.  We go into an
>> inner world and disconnect from our surroundings.
>>

> Yikes! Do I ever resemble those remarks! Yes, it would be nice to be unshackled without losing contact with the features, friends and functions.
>
>           ...ken...

Maybe that electronic world is the real one and you have to unshackle
yourself from the "marooned in real space/time" of the physical world...

For many people, most of their waking lives are spent at work, with
various rules, reactions, goals, "friends", etc.  Is that real, or the 2
hours they see their spouse and kids?

Overlaying the "real world" with a virtual one allows far more social
interaction than otherwise.  You can choose, track, and communicate more
often with more friends and family who are chosen rather than proximal.
We just need to get even better at it.