[FoRK] Losing my religion

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 14:51:14 PST 2010

> For nearly 4 decades the zombie-like state in which our government has
> maintained
> NASA has itself been a major barrier to entry for anyone else

Bull.  The truth is it's hard to make orbit and without a lot of cost
justification it's not going to happen in the private sector.  There are
several private sector launch companies.  They launch all manner of
payloads.  Clearly there's no barrier to it being done.  Where there is a
barrier is cost.   Make a business case for it and the private sector will
be more than happy to make a profit from doing it.

> and all the while our  know-how has bled away.

And this is provable, how?  I mean, besides a trite throwaway phrase, that
is.

> But the system itself is not reliable;  it  is not set up properly
> to maintain focus and resources on long-term goals.

And your suggested alternative is, what?

I don't disagree with the concerns about long-term planning.

-Bill Kearney