[FoRK] A National Passion!

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 1 20:49:54 PST 2010

I have no idea how they capture these stats but the TV ratings people have determined that 80% of Canadians watched at least part of the Canada-US mens' hockey game for the Gold medal on Sunday. And 50% watched the whole thing.

We have friends who live in downtown Vancouver. They were out at a coffee house when the game was on. They said that you could tell whenever there was a goal scored. A roar went up across the entire downtown that was like a giant wave crashing through. Every downtown sports bar and other socializing establishment with TVs had lineups starting way early in the morning so they were all packed.

Another bit of trivia: the Vancouver International Airport flew out more people today than the population of Saskatchewan's third largest city.

The one stat that is most interesting and will probably take years to discover is "How much will it cost us?" We do know that security alone will cost us an uncool Billion (with a "B") bucks.

       ...ken...