[FoRK] Applied memetics

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Mar 5 09:26:36 PST 2010

Not that this is news to anybody, but nice to see even more attention being paid to this stuff...

  http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.0469

Information-Sharing and Privacy in Social Networks

Jon Kleinberg, Katrina Ligett
(Submitted on 1 Mar 2010)
We present a new model for reasoning about the way information is shared among friends in a social network, and the resulting ways in which it spreads. Our model formalizes the intuition that revealing personal information in social settings involves a trade-off between the benefits of sharing information with friends, and the risks that additional gossiping will propagate it to people with whom one is not on friendly terms. We study the behavior of rational agents in such a situation, and we characterize the existence and computability of stable information-sharing networks, in which agents do not have an incentive to change the partners with whom they share information. We analyze the implications of these stable networks for social welfare, and the resulting fragmentation of the social network.
Subjects:	Computer Science and Game Theory (cs.GT); Physics and Society (physics.soc-ph)
Cite as:	arXiv:1003.0469v1 [cs.GT]

jb