[FoRK] ACM Turing Award

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Mon Mar 15 13:49:55 PDT 2010

http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/2010/turing-award-09

"NEW YORK, March 9, 2010 – ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery
today named Charles P. Thacker the winner of the 2009 ACM A.M. Turing
Award http://awards.acm.org/2010/turing-award.cfm for his pioneering
design and realization of the Alto, the first modern personal computer,
and the prototype for networked personal computers.  Thacker’s design,
which he built while at Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center),
reflected a new vision of a self-sufficient, networked computer on every
desk, equipped with innovations that are standard in today’s models.
Thacker was also cited for his contributions to the Ethernet local area
network, which enables multiple computers to communicate and share
resources, as well as the first multiprocessor workstation, and the
prototype for today’s most used tablet PC, with its capabilities for
direct user interaction.  The Turing Award, widely considered the “Nobel
Prize in Computing,” is named for the British mathematician Alan M.
Turing.  The award carries a $250,000 prize, with financial support
provided by Intel Corporation and Google Inc."

Chuck Thacker is a really nice guy, and one of the smartest people I've
ever had the pleasure of meeting.  I consulted with him quite a few
times while I worked for DEC.  He wrote me a very nice letter of
recommendation when I went to work for Los Alamos National Labs.

Peace
Marty Halvorson