[FoRK] Misunderestimating "The" Tea Party

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:28:33 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> Several of the constituent groups that could fit into the category are *explicitly* saying that (at least the Federal) government should have no say in that, or other similar, social-engineering matters.

Yes, of course. Because they want to empower the STATE governments to
ban abortion. Need I point out that the repressive effects of that?

I don't buy the argument that increasing state autonomy vis-a-vis the
federal government automagically increases individual liberty. Yes,
the Civil War led to the modern federal government. But remember the
first part of the title of Hummel's nice history of that:
"emancipating slaves." There's no reason to think those go together in
theory. In practice, in actual American history, state governments
have not been friendly to civil liberties.