[FoRK] Canon to begin acquisition of the ".canon" Top-Level Domain name

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Wed Mar 17 00:27:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2010, at 06:24, Jeremy Apthorp wrote:
> > perhaps just http://canon/ ?
>

> It'd certainly root out all the code that assumes that valid public domain
> names must contain a dot :)

The "www." prefix thing is quite strongly ingrained, even amongst tech folk.
Quite a few times I have said to someone, "hey, it's at 'danbri.org'" ...
(or xmlns.com or whatever), and noticed they are dutifully typing in "
www.danbri.org", even without that ever having been mentioned. (Oops,
reminds me I still haven't fixed my current Apache to restore that
redirect.)

I wonder how many years of seeing things like "http://canon/" it'll take
before folk stop doing this. My hunch is that the "www." prefix and ".com"
rider server as a form of markup language, both in verbal and written form.
At least the trends should be easy to measure.

In a radio ad, compare "Check us out on the Web: 'canon', that's 'canon'.",
vs "...on the Web: h t t p colon slash slash canon" vs "dubya dubya dubya
canon dot com, again dubya dubya dubya canon dot com". Or in visual
materials, compare "http://canon/" with "www.canon.com" or simply "canon";
the traditional forms may be longer, but the www-dot-com wrappings serve a
purpose now. They tell you it's a Web address. Without matching
www.{something}.com we have either a random string which may or may not be a
domain name; or we have the even more geeky http://{something/ pattern.
Perhaps "canon" could be visually bundled with a QR Code or similar, and the
combined package be taken as implying "canon" as a Web address / domain
name?

cheers,

Dan