[FoRK] Misunderestimating "The" Tea Party

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Mar 20 16:55:03 PDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
> Since, in the mists of time, we started of with multiple smaller "units of
> aggregation", and in every region, without fail, those smaller "units of
> aggregation" aggregated into larger and larger "units of aggregation", would
> you say that the exploration space has been explored and larger units of
> aggregation were found to be better than small ones?

For most of human history, political aggregation was very useful for reducing the endemic market inefficiencies of the time. There were many trappings that came with that political power, but I would guess that the persistence can be explained by the strong economic benefits realized as a consequence. You can't argue with the weather.

Given modern technologies and modern society, economic efficiencies can be retained with most of the political powers decentralized. The risks that political centralization mitigated can increasingly be mitigated by other means without the extra costs and baggage imposed by gratuitous political centralization.

If there is anything the modern computing age has taught us, the value of centralization ebbs and flows according to the economics it affords in an ever-changing environment.