[FoRK] Misunderestimating "The" Tea Party

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat Mar 20 21:28:40 PDT 2010

Damien says:

> Actually, I am being a little bit disingenuous.

I thought so.  I am relieved.

> I hate to say it, but this [EU example], in some way, this supports your argument, with
> the subtlety that aggregation and disaggregation are happening
> simultaneously - and seemingly supported by each other.

No contest.

The question is:  how do we *aggregate* just the right set of stuff (and what, exactly, is that set) to allow disaggregation of everything else in order to optimize and localize social choices relative to individual preferences?  Without question I agree with the *spirit* of both your EU argument and Russell's general tangent about what he unfortunately refers to as "civil liberties" but which more properly refers to some theory of basic rights.  Aggregation to ensure some common, agreeable set of basic rights as well as to minimize unnecessary friction induced by arbitrary national boundaries is a good thing.  That it comes at the expense of bundling lots of other preferences and aggregating them in a suboptimal way is not.  How can we obtain the benefits of the former without the latter costs?

jb