[FoRK] Misunderestimating "The" Tea Party

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 21 19:56:03 PDT 2010

--- On Sun, 3/21/10, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Actually, based on [1], I think he was right to refer to
> civil liberties.  Civil liberties:
> > generally refers more specifically to the protection
> of the individual's rights to form and express his or her
> own preferences or convictions and to act freely upon them
> in the private sphere without undue or intrusive
> interference by the government, ... may be seen as the
> logical correlates of the goal of *limited* government
> while civil rights:
> > emphasizes more specifically the individual's rights
> as a citizen to participate freely and equally in politics
> and public affairs in order actively to promote his/her
> preferred public policy alternatives through lobbying
> policy-makers and/or through personal participation in the
> electoral process ... are the logical correlates of the goal
> of /popular or democratic <democracy>/ government

Thank you for the tutorial, Stephen. That distinction is not something I've given a lot of thought. If asked, I would likely have kneejerked that civil rights and civil liberties are pretty much synonymous. Clearly they are not. A useful lesson. Makes the day worthwhile. :)

(It takes a computing device to access the list. Computing devices -- at least the three closest to me at the moment -- are not my favorite things in the world this weekend. So your tutorial mitigates the grief this particular device has been creating.)  :(

         ...ken...