[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:32:28 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> [...]
> find that somebody just *completely tore down and rebuilt my house* while I was out for the day, replacing it with something...  well, completely different.
>
> I've got no idea what this device means.  I'm not even confident that my previous assertions about e.g. the relative undesirability of 3G in the device were correct.  I don't think this device
> is impersonal --- but maybe it should be, I don't know.  It's not the lay-around-the-house surfboard.  Maybe it should be.  It's not a laptop replacement --- but it does *really* beg the
> question of whether most folks even *need* "computers" per se, much less laptops.
>
> It's spooky.  It's truly an appliance.  Magical is about right --- and that's not necessarily a good thing.
>
> It's the original Macintosh closed-world walled-garden vision writ large.  And that scares the shit out of me;  I already feel the same "must have own app" traction that applied to e.g.
> "must have own website" back in '97 or so... but at the same time, I wonder whether this isn't really the device "for the rest of them."  (I.e., the non-techies.)  And if so, what that means
> for "the rest of us" (I.e., the techies and geeks and nerds that, let's face it, computers have always been built for to date.)  Future of the Internet concerns, freedom to tinker concerns,
> etc.  First Apple product where the evil *truly* shows its face --- and is all too compelling, a kind, compassionate, wise face.  A benevolent face, one you can trust --- Jobs as Big
> Brother, how ironic.  It presents the familiar dilemma of the perfect dystopia.  Soma will cure all social ills;  you can only have a nice juicy steak in the Matrix.  Do we want it or not?
> Red pill / blue pill?
>
> Hate how flat the interface is;  how unmanageable it becomes with more than just a few apps;  and how silo'd it is, operating-system impoverished (i.e., in terms of OS generic services
> that are accessible to end-users, see the N (large N) from-app printing solutions, filing solutions / doc sharing apps, etc.) and impossibly tightly coupling your data in the app-jail that
> made it.  Fixed battery.  App switching.  No / limited inter-app communication.  Any of the desktop-like applet-dashboards / apps yanked from store immediately --- no desktop
> metaphor for you!  Navigationally intensive.  Etc. etc.  Everything that was wrong with personal computing and every gen-1 Apple product ever --- multiplied and pushed to the limit as a
> design principle.  "Neener neener." says Steve!  "I will define your future for you!  I control the vertical, never mind the horizonal!"
>
> Ugh.
>
> Love / hate, hope / fear / loathing, desire / revulsion, all mixed up in some uncomfortable but thrilling giant hairball.  Even more intense than expected.  It really is a new new thing.
>
> One thing I'm reasonably confident of:  this really does change everything, forever.

Are you for real? What seems forever changed is the tech industry.
Somehow this company has convinced you that when it does *anything*
you should stretch your imagination and try and see how, as usual,
they know more than you, and how you - poor useless consumer - can
best make use of what they feel pleasure to drop on you.

It's a god damn screen. Nothing that hasn't been around before. What's
changed is not technology, but consumers have come to love the
bullying of enterprise.

It seems fairly mad to me, but then again, FoRK is my only window into
that world. The iPad could be made of monkey brains and do my calculus
homework for me and I still wouldn't care.

I think other companies should be looking at Apple and not thinking
"wow, game changing device" but "wow, look how they've controlled a
significant portion of consumers into doing what they want".

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/