[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:45:18 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2010, at 01:32, silky wrote:
> > I think other companies should be looking at Apple and not thinking
> > "wow, game changing device" but "wow, look how they've controlled a
> > significant portion of consumers into doing what they want".
>
> You say that like it's not interesting... :)

Well, it's interesting for people interested in that sort of thing
(like I imagine Jeff is), but I can't quite comprehend his desire to
find a purpose for a device that, as I understand it, doesn't really
have one.

I mean, if I threw a colourful unidentifiable object at you, would you
thank me and try and find its purpose, or would you be annoyed and go
back to doing what you typically do? I'm not suggesting you should
have you head in the sand, but I don't need a *company* inventing
markets for me, when I have perfectly fine ways of spending my time
already. Come to me when there is actually something that I find
useful.

It seems to me a bit like looking for divine purpose in somethinig.
Apple isn't God. They may do things wrong, and they certainly predict,
you would expect, every type of response to their products and have
appropriate plans.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/