[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:30:23 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> > I mean, if I threw a colourful unidentifiable object at you, would you
> > thank me and try and find its purpose, or would you be annoyed and go
> > back to doing what you typically do? I'm not suggesting you should
>
> You're kidding, right?  Of course I'd try to find it's purpose, and I
> wouldn't in the slightest feel bound by what I intuited was the intended
> purpose.  You're really not like that?  How quaint.

You aren't like that either. Are you looking at everything around you
that is useless and trying to find a use for it? If so, that's great,
then I believe you, if not, then you're really only interested in it
because you're considering the agenda of Apple and the divine power
that they have imbued this thing with.

Now there is no denying that the recent things they've done have been
good: iPod, iPhone, colourful laptops, music for sale on the internet,
but it doesn't mean everything they do is, and doesn't mean - for me
at least - that they great a free ticket for greatness. You should
rate everything on merit, right?

> Problem solver == tool user == technologist == gadgetophile ==
> transparadigmophile.

Well, I'm a problem solver, but I'm not a technologist or gadgetophile
or the last thing. Is that illegal by your statement? If so, well, bad
luck.

> > have you head in the sand, but I don't need a *company* inventing
> > markets for me, when I have perfectly fine ways of spending my time
> > already. Come to me when there is actually something that I find
> > useful.
>
> Bring me a rock?  They solve problems they want solved and hope there is a
> market.  That is one of the more honest ways to go about product design.
>

> > It seems to me a bit like looking for divine purpose in somethinig.
> > Apple isn't God. They may do things wrong, and they certainly predict,
> > you would expect, every type of response to their products and have
> > appropriate plans.
>
> They're doing plenty wrong with the OS/software, but they tend to get the
> hardware right.  I love it because it raises the bar on everyone else.  When
> we get a hackable Android version with similar hardware at a cheaper price,
> I'll be pretty happy.

Raising the bar for people is good; but who raises the bar for them?

I suppose the most amazing thing about them is how they initiate so
much discussion around themselves; people like me who hate their
marketing crap feel the need to talk about it, people feel the need to
point out why they are smarter, how they treat people badly, everyone
with their own agenda. That's probably what I find most frustrating.
Probably we (I mean me) should shutup and get back to doing homework
:)

--
silky