[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Apr 6 18:42:48 PDT 2010

On 4/6/10 6:30 PM, silky wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Stephen Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>
>>> I mean, if I threw a colourful unidentifiable object at you, would you
>>> thank me and try and find its purpose, or would you be annoyed and go
>>> back to doing what you typically do? I'm not suggesting you should
>>>
>> You're kidding, right?  Of course I'd try to find it's purpose, and I
>> wouldn't in the slightest feel bound by what I intuited was the intended
>> purpose.  You're really not like that?  How quaint.
>>
> You aren't like that either. Are you looking at everything around you
> that is useless and trying to find a use for it? If so, that's great,
> then I believe you, if not, then you're really only interested in it
> because you're considering the agenda of Apple and the divine power
> that they have imbued this thing with.
>
> Now there is no denying that the recent things they've done have been
> good: iPod, iPhone, colourful laptops, music for sale on the internet,
> but it doesn't mean everything they do is, and doesn't mean - for me
> at least - that they great a free ticket for greatness. You should
> rate everything on merit, right?

Yes, with your initial expectation set by reputation.  Apple's
reputation is sky high in most measurement vectors.  They will need a
lot of missteps to lower that much.  Contrast that with Microsoft: It is
almost universally said that their products aren't really usable until
3.0, and more than half of those tend to fail.  Even after huge revenue
streams from users who blindly buy in and those pulled in by product tying.

>> Problem solver == tool user == technologist == gadgetophile ==
>> transparadigmophile.
>>
> Well, I'm a problem solver, but I'm not a technologist or gadgetophile
> or the last thing. Is that illegal by your statement? If so, well, bad
> luck.

Not illegal, just self-limiting.  Not being a technologist means
drastically limiting the tools you can bring to the job.  That will tend
to limit you to jobs that don't require tools, i.e. it will limit your
reach.
>>> It seems to me a bit like looking for divine purpose in somethinig.
>>> Apple isn't God. They may do things wrong, and they certainly predict,
>>> you would expect, every type of response to their products and have
>>> appropriate plans.
>>>
>> They're doing plenty wrong with the OS/software, but they tend to get the
>> hardware right.  I love it because it raises the bar on everyone else.  When
>> we get a hackable Android version with similar hardware at a cheaper price,
>> I'll be pretty happy.
>>
> Raising the bar for people is good; but who raises the bar for them?

Like any good self-improver, they raise the bar on themselves whether or
not others do.  Luckily, we have Google and others to give them some
competition.