[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:50:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

[...]

> Yes, with your initial expectation set by reputation.  Apple's reputation is
> sky high in most measurement vectors.  They will need a lot of missteps to
> lower that much.  Contrast that with Microsoft: It is almost universally
> said that their products aren't really usable until 3.0, and more than half
> of those tend to fail.  Even after huge revenue streams from users who
> blindly buy in and those pulled in by product tying.

Just because someone is bad doesn't mean someone else is good. It
doesn't follow that becase I don't like the iPad that I'd love a
surface tablet pc.

> > > Problem solver == tool user == technologist == gadgetophile ==
> > > transparadigmophile.
> > >

> > Well, I'm a problem solver, but I'm not a technologist or gadgetophile
> > or the last thing. Is that illegal by your statement? If so, well, bad
> > luck.
>
> Not illegal, just self-limiting.  Not being a technologist means drastically
> limiting the tools you can bring to the job.  That will tend to limit you to
> jobs that don't require tools, i.e. it will limit your reach.

What rubbish. Anyone who isn't like some set of rules you layout is
limiting their reach? I could equally argue that because I don't waste
time on gadgets I learn more and hence improve my reach. Either
argument here is completely personal and totally useless for the other
person. I can't believe you would actually sometihng so clearly
ridiculous and wrong, so I'll leave it there.

[...]

--
silky