[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 21:11:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

[...]

> I'm pretty sure that using Mathematica or Maple or similar, perhaps with
> some good guidance in every section, would significantly speed up and
> improve comprehension and ability with calculus, etc.  Are you using the
> Strang book?  His books seem to be the most popular with universities, at
> least the top ones I checked a couple years ago.  I updated my book
> collection with a good set since I needed calculus, discrete math, and
> linear algebra for several things recently.  And it had been > 20 years
> since I had calculus.  It was much easier the second time, although I still
> don't think it is taught properly.

Well, it's only first year, the book I'm using is Modern Engineering
Mathematics - Glyn James. Overall, it's pretty good, but our lecturer
is quite great.

I've got Maple, and I use it, and it's partly helpful, but only for
testing things that I've determined myself. And a few other things.

> http://ur.ly/9Gjm
>
> I actually had collected several links to math information a couple days ago
> and hadn't worked up a blog / wiki posting yet.  Most of these are from a
> Slashdot thread.
>
> http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
> http://www.purplemath.com/
> http://projecteuler.net/
> http://mathforum.org/
> http://www.germanna.edu/tutor/helpful_handouts.asp?menuchoice=Helpful%20Handouts
> http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Elementary-Approach-Ideas-Methods/dp/0195105192
> http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_03_08.html
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA
> http://math.about.com/od/mathhelpandtutorials/Math_Help_and_Tutorials_by_Subject_and_or_Topic.htm
> http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Self-Teaching-Guide-Wiley-Guides/dp/0471378232/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270389659&sr=8-27
> http://justmathtutoring.com/
> http://pathstoknowledge.net/category/math/
>
> Related:
> http://academicearth.org/courses/science-magic-and-religion
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNNKLihkZdY
> http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-001Spring-2005/VideoLectures/index.htm

Thanks for that, I'll give them a look over (you know, when I have
enough time to sit down infront of my laptop and watch them; takes a
lot of effort you know, if only ... :P)

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/