[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Apr 6 21:46:47 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 4/6/10, silky <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not illegal, just self-limiting.  Not being a technologist means drastically
> > limiting the tools you can bring to the job. That will tend to limit you to
> > jobs that don't require tools, i.e. it will limit your reach.
>
> What rubbish. Anyone who isn't like some set of rules you layout is
> limiting their reach? I could equally argue that because I don't waste
> time on gadgets I learn more and hence improve my reach. Either
> argument here is completely personal and totally useless for the other
> person. I can't believe you would actually sometihng so clearly
> ridiculous and wrong, so I'll leave it there.

I agree. I've done too much tech support to swallow that. It does not require a technologist to take advantage of tools that use technology to extend their reach. They do not require knowledge of the innards. They can treat them as black box appliances and be completely effective. And superb problem solvers.

Arguably, the less energy and attention they spend on sussing the inner workings, the more energy and attention they have available to spend on using the tools (or not) to accomplish things that are actually important and useful.

Arguably, creating technology tools for other people is also important and useful. As is helping them make use of those tools.

Arguing that one is somehow more important than the other is just silly.

        ...ken...