[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 7 02:28:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:22:20PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> I've got no idea what this device means.  I'm not even confident that my previous assertions about e.g. the relative undesirability of 3G in the device were correct.  I don't think this device is impersonal --- but maybe it should be, I don't know.  It's not the lay-around-the-house surfboard.  Maybe it should be.  It's not a laptop replacement --- but it does *really* beg the question of whether most folks even *need* "computers" per se, much less laptops.

You thought 3G was irrelevant? Strange, because that's the key feature for
any mobile device to be usable anywhere. If I'll be buying an iPad (I haven't seen
one yet, and there are potential ARM-based Android slates which I might be looking
into) I would be accessing (open) documents and services elsewhere (mostly my own).
There's negligible amount of SSD in the affordable iPad versions.