[FoRK] SAN, NAS, or both at home?

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Apr 7 04:57:07 PDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 7:49 AM, David Edmondson wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:32:36 -0500, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>>  - Drobo  (either the older models or, particularly, the Pro or Elite?)
>
> I've never used a Drobo, though I've been tempted to buy. My main worry
> about any black-box RAID device is: what happens when the chassis dies
> and I need some data that is on the disks? It seems that the only option
> is to repair or replace the chassis, because the disks are formatted in
> a way that I don't understand.

I have a Drobo Pro (currently with 8 x 1TB drives and dual redundancy so even two drives simultaneously failing means no data loss)

I do have the concern about the chassis failing. But to be honest, I've had enough problems with normal external drives failing that I feel like I'm greatly mitigating my risk with the Drobo Pro.

There have been a couple of scary incidents where the Drobo Pro hasn't mounted properly but Disk Warrior has always been able to do a full recovery.

The annoying thing day-to-day, though, is that any time a file dialog box pops up it takes a few seconds extra when the Drobo is connected.

James