[FoRK] What the hell just happened?

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Wed Apr 7 07:11:25 PDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Michael Cummins wrote:

> http://www.livescience.com/technology/13-glaring-ipad-shortcomings-100404.ht
> ml
>
> 13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings
>
> It's Awkward

It's hard to hold it while typing but otherwise fine.

> It's heavy

Haven't had an issue with this.

> It's slippery

Haven't had an issue with this, but haven't really tried resting it on a surface while using it yet.

> The screen has too much glare

This has not  been a problem for me yet.

> Forget reading in the sun

I have trouble reading *real books* in the sun.

> Fingerprints are annoying

This one is definitely true!

> It does not multitask

I think the issue for me here is not that it can't multitask but that you as a user can't multitask. You can't write an email while referencing a webpage along side it, for example. Although I did find myself at one point using the iPad for reference while I typed stuff on my laptop.

> The browser is limited

Hasn't been a problem for me yet, except for sites that rely on hover to work.

> The virtual keyboard stinks

My first impression was it doesn't feel like it will let you type as fast as it actually will. It gives you the feeling (from the clicks) that it's skipped key presses when it hasn't.

I wouldn't say it stinks but it is suboptimal for sure. Although the fact that it's dynamic (e.g. the return key is often relabeled to what action will occur when you hit it) is neat.

> There's no USB port

Doesn't bother me. I wish it synced via WiFi though.

> iPhone-only apps look horrible

Agreed. But apps redone for iPad are gorgeous :-)

> The price is just too high

Too high for what? Statements like that drive the economist in me crazy.

> It doesn't replace anything

Completely untrue in my case. Since getting it four days ago, I have not touched my Kindle once and have only used my iPhone when going out. (I used to use the latter to check email, twitter, etc when on the sofa or bedroom — iPad has completely replaced that)

Other things I've noticed: (a) I'm back to reading blogs now (I can read them on the sofa or in bed when I'm in a relax-and-read mood); (b) I'm a lot more focused on work (or recreational programming) when I'm on my laptop now; leaving the casual surfing, TV watching, etc to my iPad. As someone who works from home, that separation has been helpful.

James