[FoRK] SAN, NAS, or both at home?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 7 07:22:36 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 12:49:17PM +0100, David Edmondson wrote:

> I've never used a Drobo, though I've been tempted to buy. My main worry
> about any black-box RAID device is: what happens when the chassis dies
> and I need some data that is on the disks? It seems that the only option
> is to repair or replace the chassis, because the disks are formatted in
> a way that I don't understand.

Drobo is proprietary RAID. Which why I would go with zfs insted,
as NexentaStor is an zfs appliance distribution of OpenSolaris
(community edition needs registration, but stores up to 12 TByte
with the free license). The only disadvantage is that you can't
add larger disks, resilver and have the pool grow automagically.
(You can grow the pool with a sequence of counterintuitive steps,
risking losing everything by a typo -- see e.g. how it's done
with FreeNAS zfs, which I don't recommend:

http://nowhereman999.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/geeking-out-big-time-with-zfs-and-freenas/
).

Additional advantage is that with zfs you can use hybrid SSD
support. Also, I strongly suspect it doesn't nearly do all the
bells and whistles zfs does to keep your data away from the
great bit bucket.