[FoRK] SAN, NAS, or both at home?

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Wed Apr 7 10:14:40 PDT 2010

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:22:36 +0200, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> Drobo is proprietary RAID. Which why I would go with zfs insted,
> as NexentaStor is an zfs appliance distribution of OpenSolaris
> (community edition needs registration, but stores up to 12 TByte
> with the free license).

If I were building a storage only system then I'd pick ZFS (with
OpenSolaris) every time. At home, 'storage only' seems like overkill -
that system can usefully do other work. Debian still beats OpenSolaris
for general usability, which is why I still have a bunch of mirrored
pair drives sitting in a Debian box.

dme.
--
David Edmondson, http://dme.org