[FoRK] Clarifications and expansions... Re: What the hell just happened?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Apr 7 21:59:51 PDT 2010

On 4/7/10 2:21 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Sebastian Hassinger
> <shassinger at gmail.com>  wrote:
>   Totally agree. When evaluating an iPad, people on this mailing list
> should take a deep breath and say out loud "this was not designed for
> me."
>

> I think the point that keeps getting glossed over with the "oh its a
> harmless consumer appliance" is the tie in to the locked down app/os
> channel. I would not give this to my Mom to use for the simple reason
> it does her a disservice as a customer. Tech issues aside, Apple has
> shown itself to be consumer hostile. Locking down markets is not tech
> innovation or a roll out of the good will of the one true Steve....it
> is simply Apple out doing Microsoft at its own game. That Apple is
> being the next MS tells volumes about the corporate culture, its aims
> and the folks who support it.

I won't argue with that.  Apple is overcontrolling and is addicted to
incremental revenue streams.

On the other hand, the hardware is very polished.  Worst case, we get to
pick up some used iPads cheap to repurpose for AndroidPad and have the
best of both worlds.  (Name's taken, but probably for sale...
AndroidPad was registered in Aug. 2008 by someone in Bangladesh.)

sdw