[FoRK] Clarifications and expansions... Re: What the hell just happened?

Zee Roe zero at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 8 09:01:06 PDT 2010

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Jeff Bone wrote:

[trim]

> Tech politics is one thing;  market response another.  Often they are
> inversely correlated relative to what we might expect.

Indeed; I have some friends who are on the gadget=cool end of the spectrum
using the iPad as a better replacement for certain tasks they've in the
past left to a notepad / a book / a laptop / a clipboard / whatever, to
(IMHO) great effect.  I believe them when they say it's made things better
for them (despite my admittely initial anti-closed-system knee-jerk
reaction).

> Now what do we do about it.

This is really a bit of an important question to me, and can be
generalized to: "If a company creates a product in space X that is clearly
aimed at a different subset of consumers than you are in, what do you do
about it?" Another example is Wii vs. [Xbox360|PS3]; The Wii is *not*
targeted at me, and has been incredibly successful. Should I be nervous
that other product developers will spend resources going in a direction
that I don't want them to? Should I actively try and "fight" it?