[FoRK] Absolutely shocking... Ray Comfort manages a (mostly) sane answer?

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Apr 9 12:24:04 PDT 2010

You know, I'd always considered Ray Comfort to be a delusional and dangerous idiot with absolutely no ability to be objective about e.g. science vis-a-vis religion, etc.  And yeah, most of banana-man's arguments are still 100% crockery, bad epistemology and chop logic.  But I came across a post to a post where Ray Comfort is apparently answering 10 interview questions that have been posed.  I am *shocked* by his alleged answer to the following question (and highly surprised by his answers to several others.)  If this answer is in fact his, and sincere, then *truly* I am floored.

Cf.

  http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50812

--

10. Imagine, for a moment, a world where religion never existed, for whatever reason. Its citizens go about their lives having never heard of any religion. In your mind, what would the world be like -- worse, better? Why?

[Ray's supposed answer: ]  I think that a world without religion would be a much better world. Imagine no 911. Imagine no terror-threats from Islam. No suicide bombs. Imagine no pedophile priests or money-hungry televangelists. Imagine no Roman Catholic Crusades against innocent people or torturous Inquisitions against those who denied their religion. Imagine no religious nuts carrying signs at soldiers funerals saying that it’s good that they died or that “God hates fags.” Imagine no religious hypocrisy, and no trail of human blood down through history through the mass of religious wars. No witch burnings, no hindrances to science . . . imagine.

Man has always used religion for his own political or economic gain. Hitler did it. America does it. Iran does it. The Pharisees in the time of Christ did it.

Religion is a very grimy and murky bathwater, and those who don’t look carefully can easily miss the baby. A world without religion…how wonderful that would be. May God hasten the day.

--

Huh.

jb