[FoRK] Clarifications and expansions... Re: What the hell just happened?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 17:07:30 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
>> It's important to be able to handle the coexistence of Apple's (1)
>> being a flagrant jerk and (2) doing brilliant engineering.
>>
>> They're both true.
>
> Absolutely concurred, no contest, and thank you.  A much terser presentation of the basic argument I was attempting to make, supplemented perhaps only by "they make good tools for certain purposes" --- but that's really a corollary of your #2.  Excellent, Lucas.

And this is where I think the disconnect is. I hold , from experience
not just on Apple's platforms but others, that great and fantastic
tools  can  be made useless with crappy licensing. You can make the
most perfect tool eva and then render it less so by placing limits on
its use, methods and possibilities.

The totality of a tool makes up its use or uselessness.

I get that you folk can segment the crud from the cool, and thats
great for you. Bottom line though when a company makes the cool so
wrapped in crud its hard not to see it as such even with the right
colored glasses.

Hope that clarifies it some.

-tom(did I say last post already?)higgins