[FoRK] Intuiting too much; also, light bulbs

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Apr 12 09:03:38 PDT 2010

Interesting in several contexts, including e.g. appropriate role-of-government considerations, particularly -wrt- current gov and its "no incandescent lightbulbs for you!*" soup-Nazi technocratic-daddyism --- as well as e.g. Tom's well-meaning preacher-papa position -wrt- <that which will not be named>.

  http://www.overcomingbias.com/2010/04/intuiting-too-much.html

OTOH, you could certainly argue that I'm chronically afflicted with the same problem in subtly different ways.  You might be right.  You could make the same argument about Hanson, rather ironically.  And you might be right.

jb

* re:  light bulbs.  CFLs suck, y'all.  They play havoc with line current at startup.  They are toxic.  They are delicate --- despite having a supposed 2-3 year lifespan, in older homes and / or situations where electrical consistency is less than ideal, they can actually dramatically underperform incandescents in terms of longevity.  Smart switches / dimmers?  Fuggedaboutit.  (They can actually fry $150 smart switches when they misbehave.)  And the light quality in every single one that I've tried sucks ass-balls.  I'm hopeful that the LED stuff gets a lot better by 2014;  we'll see.  At present, it's not good enough (for me) to use as a general replacement.  But I'm optimistic.