[FoRK] Okay, now this has gone too far...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Apr 16 08:55:21 PDT 2010

No FROBIDDEN WORDS were harmed in the making of this post.

--

Cf.

  http://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/flash-scratch-ajax-apples-war-programming

Scratch?  Really?  C'mon.  It wasn't as if anyone was ever going to build anything truly useful and threatening but somehow sub-par with that;  i.e., Scratch could never compete anyway as an app development or delivery environment for real stuff for these devices.  It was purely pedagogical.

One wonders if e.g. game level editors with behavior definition, extensible games for kids, and even programmable calculators are now verboten.  Grafly and friends?  At least one of the calculators in the app store allows looping and is Turing complete...  How about Wolfram Alpha?  AFAIR you can type Mathematica directly into it...

What about things like this:

  http://fuse.microsoft.com/kodu.html

???

--

Still, a bit more worried than a week ago but reasonably sure this relaxes a bit (to some more reasonable level) in the not-too-distant future.  They're really begging for the backlash, and it's a doozy.  We'll see how long it takes for entelechic ego-delusion and control freakishness to be overcome by corporate pragmatism.  I suspect that this resolves itself *more quickly* than I previously expected.

jb