[FoRK] Them rose-colored VR goggles

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 16 23:05:15 PDT 2010

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > It seems to me that *ANY* honest effort to unscrew such a screwed up situation, especially the really hard actions like "confronting reality... and making decisions about how to deal with it" is grounds for not just optimism but for massive partying and whooping it up in the most joyous way possible. Fully decked in the very brightest of rose-coloured eyewear.
> >
> > Not???

> Not if it messes with your often ranted world view and 10 year plan.
No one wants progress on the issue, they want THEIR progress on the
issue or at the very least the ability to say I Told You So (even if
they had not ) in volumes of chars.

> -tom(Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about? )higgins

Now you're sounding just like him with all the deep dark negative-sounding shit.

I'm with sdw on this one. Any realistic attempt to fix something that's systemically screwed up should be cause for celebration.

I have no quarrel with his use of the potential for "optimism" as one filter to assess the worthiness of a potential approach, at least as he explained it. E.g. if the proposed solution does not give you cause for some optimism there's probably a flaw somewhere in it.

Yes, even if it's a lesser-of-all-evils approach. Isn't that cause for at least a quick beer? Or whatever your favorite libation is....

It should not be necessary to be negative in order to be realistic. Seems like one can just as easily be realistically optimistic ... or is that optimistically realistic.... whatever.

It clearly was not jb's intent but he comes across as defeatist throughout that particular discourse in spite of his protests to the contrary.

Pro-life or Anti-choice.

      ...ken...