[FoRK] salary premium for travel

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Mon Apr 26 17:04:54 PDT 2010

I have discovered the secret of sleeping on an aircraft.

You will need one or two eye masks with stretchy elastic straps (most any
will do).

On nearly all aircraft these days, the headrest comes with a sliding pad
that has two side wings that can be folded forward to cradle the head. The
side wings are excellent, but not sufficient, for sleeping.

So.. position the sliding pad and fold the wings and get comfy.

Then, take your eye mask, and put the elastic straps behind the sliding pad
before putting the eye mask over your eyes. If you are a snorer, take the
second eye mask, perform the same operation and put it over your mouth.

With your head held in place by the headrest, side wings and eye mask, you
are free to completely relax and get some sleep.

Of course, an Ambien helps, but I find they dont reliably put me to sleep
and they usually wear off after an hour or two. Better to just sit, eyes
closed and meditate until you are ready to sleep.