[FoRK] Why Pretend?

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:06:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM, John Parsons <bullwinklemouth at yahoo.ca> wrote:

[...]

> Also... what degree does perception play in hypocritical behavior (i.e do hypocrites perceive their behavior
> as hypocritical)? My experience is that excessively hypocritical people don't seem to show even a moderately
> developed sense of introspection. This also jibes with a lot of people who have attained a degree of power. Is
> it a "chicken-egg" correlation?

>From my own experience, hypocritical behaviour can be explained by the
idea that the person is actually talking more to *themselves* then
they are to the other person. That is they are outlining in others
what the dislike about themselves,. Just because you dislike it
doesn't mean you change it in yourself, but it does make it more
obviously visible in others, and it annoys you on a basic level,
because you see in them your own mistakes, and frustration about not
fixing it yourself translates into argumentativeness externally.

--
silky

  http://www.programmingbranch.com/