[FoRK] A three-dimensional political space... (&c)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat May 1 16:27:08 PDT 2010

Thanks for the pointer, Russell...  hadn't come across that one.

Reminds me of Vosem spaces a bit (as mentioned here before)

  http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/6/14/45425/6208

  http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/6/26/235020/623

Pros and cons relative to that.  (It's easy to various self-identifying cliques in American politics in Vosem, which may be an indication that it is overly tuned to our specific situation.)

The reality is probably more than 3 and certainly less than 6 smoothly-varying dimensions.  There might be any number of small-ish discrete feature spaces in addition.

Still, vast improvements over standard and worse-than-useless left-right speak.  Even the 2-d political compass is *infinitely* better than that, but unfortunately for all involved there's too little awareness of the dangers involved in our present and utterly broken Flatland political taxonomy.  If people can't handle 2-d, how the heck are they supposed to handle the necessary higher-dimensionality?

--

Aside:  got hit by a stomach bug and laid up for a few days this week so had some time to do something I hadn't had time for in a while:  read fiction.  Blasted through some old material that I'd never read before, particularly F. Paul Wilson's LaNague Federation books.  Not exactly towering literary achievements, but definitely interesting and worth my time.  Wilson's best known for Repairman Jack and his horror-noir stuff (cf. The Keep etc.) but was well on his way to becoming the definitive "libertarian / anarcho-capitalist sci-fi writer" back before he decided to focus mostly on the other stuff;  winning Prometheus awards etc...  less preachy in some ways than some of this stuff, particularly the early Neils.

His book An Enemy of the State (and its related shorts, such as "Lipidlegger" --- about a black-market butter seller in a nanny state America that has banned bad various lipids) in particular rings eerily prescient given present circumstances.  But, given the issues-of-the-day at the time he was doing this work --- back in the '70s and early '80s --- and their remarkable resemblance to many current problems (if only on a baby scale) I guess it's not all that surprising.

Worth the read, particularly Enemy.

$2.99 each on Kindle.

J.Bob sez check it out.

jb