[FoRK] seen shebang in fragments?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon May 3 01:35:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Rohit Khare <khare at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I saw this old post http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jul/0253
> on the history of # -- very well written stuff!
>
> A few weeks ago I was joking around with some Twitter folk about inventing
> the shebang tag for making tweets that did stuff, you know, so you can tweet
> in perl :)
>
> And then I saw this, which I guess must have been big news a while back; I
> encountered it in use on Facebook:
> http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/docs/getting-started.html
>
> that is, using #! to force a mapping onto GET parameters that are, in fact,
> sent over the HTTP wire so they can generate a completely different
> static-html representation for GoogleBot.
>
> Fascinating thread... microsyntax evolves everywhere someone thinks there's
> an unused character code ;)

Ah, that is funny! I've also lately been wondering about #! in URI
references, since RDF folk have been writing things like
'http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i' to refer to real-world
entities indirectly via mentioned in their RDF descriptions. And if
those RDF descriptions were in RDFa, then #i could easily clash with
an HTML ID, whereas HTML IDs don't get named with a leading "!". So
the thinking was that this would help avoid a few naming clashes or
misinterpretations. Plus have a nice retro feel. I didn't dig through
the specs yet to double-check it would be legal, and at least in the
HTML-based case rather than application/rdf+xml
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3870.txt it's a bit murky.

Anyway the idea was that this would give http://danbri.org/ as my
homepage URI and eg. http://danbri.org/#!me as URI for me-myself...

Dan