[FoRK] New laptop: Macbook vs. brand X + Ubuntu

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Mon May 3 06:22:20 PDT 2010

On 22-Apr-10 20:01, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> It is near time to replace the venerable laptop that has long been my
>> mainstay development machine. I've been using Ubuntu for years, so my
>> inclination is to find good hardware (Lenovo 410s?), which no doubt
>> will come with Windows of some variety, then load Ubuntu onto it.
>> But.... there're the friends, colleagues, and related sirens who say:
>> go for a Macbook. So I'm trying to understand the big advantage that
>> counters learning a new OS and environment.
>
> Apple hardware is premium overall with great service (although the wait is
> a little long in Palo Alto, even if Jobs does live down the street and
> occasionally drops in).  You do pay a premium for the hardware.

It has been my experience, rubbing elbows with people who run PC or
Mac at work and who have a Mac laptop for personal use, a majority
have had to return the laptop for repairs after some sort of hardware
failure. The most recent is a Macbook purchased in the last 2 months,
returned about 3 weeks ago.

Reese