[FoRK] Do You Belong to The Church?

Joe Fish reverend.joe at gmail.com
Wed May 5 10:21:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Kling:
>
>  http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2010/05/do_you_belong_t.html
>
> Make a list of five to ten social issues that you feel are important. Next, make a list of five to ten social issues that you think government should stay out of. What is the intersection of those two sets? If it is zero, then you probably belong to the Church of Unlimited Government. If every social issue you care about (not just the top five or ten) is one where you want government to deal with it, then you definitely belong to the Church.

Very interesting concept, and a good illustration of what is so
hypocritical in the typical Libertarian's thinking.

By this definition, I'd wager most Libertarians belong to The Church as well.

Why?

Because, in my humble experience, most Libertarians are (relatively)
rich guys who only HAVE one important social issue they care about ...
namely, the protection of private property.

And you can DAMN well bet they want the Government involved in THAT one.

Libertarians, by and large, are well-off people that know they can
provide any "services" they need for themselves, provided the
Government provides them the one service THEY require from it (making
sure younger, stronger, fitter individuals don't take away what they
have).

In this way, we see that they're really not much different from
welfare mothers begging for the one thing most important to them for
Government to provide (WIC), or artists arguing that we can't do away
with the NEA, or funds for music education, or whatever.

Except the welfare mothers (by and large) don't go hypocritically
around accusing everyone ELSE of suckling at the Government teat for
their needs and telling everyone who doesn't qualify for WIC to fend
for themselves.

There's no such thing as a non-hypocritical Libertarian, because we
already have a name for people that believe in "survival of the
fittest" and "limited government" who AREN'T hypocrites:  they're
called "anarchists".

JOE