[FoRK] Do You Belong to The Church?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed May 5 11:08:29 PDT 2010

--- On Wed, 5/5/10, Joe Fish <reverend.joe at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no such thing as a non-hypocritical Libertarian, because we
> already have a name for people that believe in "survival of the
> fittest" and "limited government" who AREN'T hypocrites:  they're
> called "anarchists".

Hey Joe,

Does it necessarily follow that believing in "survival of the fittest" and "limited government" makes one an anarchist?

I note you said "limited government" rather than "no government", so that would almost automatically preclude someone with that belief from being an anarchist, wouldn't it? E.g. doesn't anarchy require noone in charge?

I'm pretty naive when it comes to the labelling of political belief systems ... is it true that Libertarians believe, or at least profess to believe, that all government is bad?

I agree with you that it all sounds rather like cherry picking and we all just have different cherries we want to pick. It seems like it's not so much a question of *how much* government but, rather, where we would like government to intervene in our own interest(s) ... Sort of, which tent will we let the camel's nose into.

 ...ken...