[FoRK] Do You Belong to The Church?

Joe Fish reverend.joe at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:43:53 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 5/5/10, Joe Fish <reverend.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> There's no such thing as a non-hypocritical Libertarian, because we
>> already have a name for people that believe in "survival of the
>> fittest" and "limited government" who AREN'T hypocrites:  they're
>> called "anarchists".
>>

> Hey Joe,
>
> Does it necessarily follow that believing in "survival of the fittest" and "limited government" makes one an anarchist?
>
> I note you said "limited government" rather than "no government", so that would almost automatically preclude someone with that belief from being an anarchist, wouldn't it? E.g. doesn't anarchy require noone in charge?

admittedly a bit of a stretch to make a point, but i think the
essential point stands: if you really believe in "the strong survive"
and think "Atlas Shrugged" is the most brilliant thing ever written,
why *is* there a need for ANY government?

it seems to me that, to most libertarians, the "limited" in "limited
government" means: limited to what *I* want the government to provide,
particularly as relates to guarding my stuff from marauders.

don't get me wrong: i, too, am VERY MUCH in favor of the Governmental
Program of protecting my private property, but I realize this is so
because *i have stuff i want protected*, and don't consider my selfish
impulse somehow superior to other's selfish impulses.  Now, as it
turns out, I *do* believe my selfish impulse also happens to serve
(nearly) everyone else's best interest, but that's also why I believe
government should be fashioned in a way that provides the greatest
good for the greatest number, and specifically NOT based on some
demagogic, ideological version of what is the "right" or moral
functions of government and what should be excluded.  I think we need
to protect private property b/c in my view that program provides the
greatest good for the greatest number: if the same applies to WIC, or
NEA, or universal health-care, then so be it.

> I'm pretty naive when it comes to the labelling of political belief systems ... is it true that Libertarians believe, or at least profess to believe, that all government is bad?

I don't know about *all government*, but, in practice, most of them I
converse with seem to think its all bad except property law and DoD --
both functions of protecting their accumulations of stuff ...

JOE